Entrepreneur, Explorer, Angel.
Sometimes all at Once.
22TH February 2023
Creative problem Solving - Family and Friends - Food - Social - Timeless - Timely
I’ll be making Dinner with AI
We like to entertain, but not grandly. Just dinner.
Our go-to is to make 2-3 course for 4-6 people and sit around the table talking for a long time. To me, that’s a perfect night. (There are others). But the process of double checking recipes, shopping the market, swapping out items I forgot, and pairing wines takes away from the best parts; actually preparing and serving dinner.
So, lacking a team of production assistants (here’s to you Jacques Pepin), I tried AI for a little help. Here was my query; I am having a dinner party for eight people this weekend and I would like three menu suggestions of three courses each, paired to compliment each other. It looks like it is the season for duck, asparagus, and strawberries. I would also like wine suggestions for each course, but only french wines. I would also like a complete shopping lists for each, organized by aisle at the local Wegmans in Navy Yard Brooklyn.
Here was the first result;
- Starter: Asparagus Soup -1 lb asparagus -1 onion -2 garlic cloves -2 cups vegetable broth -1 cup heavy cream -1 tsp salt -1 tsp black pepper
- Main Course: Duck Breast with Cherry Sauce -4 duck breasts -1 cup cherries -1/2 cup red wine -2 tbsp balsamic vinegar -2 tbsp honey -1 tbsp butter -1 tsp salt -1 tsp black pepper
- Dessert: Strawberry Tart -1 pre-made pie crust -2 cups strawberries -1 cup heavy cream -1/4 cup sugar -1 tsp vanilla extract
- Wine Pairings: -Starter: Chablis -Main Course: Châteauneuf-du-Pape -Dessert: Sauternes
- Shopping List: -Produce: asparagus, onion, garlic, cherries, strawberries -Meat: duck breasts -Dairy: heavy cream, butter -Pantry: vegetable broth, red wine, balsamic vinegar, honey, sugar, vanilla extract, pre-made pie crust -Spices: salt, black pepper
- Starter: Goat Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms -16 mushrooms -4 oz goat cheese -2 tbsp olive oil -2 garlic cloves -1 tsp salt -1 tsp black pepper
- Main Course: Grilled Lamb Chops with Rosemary -8 lamb chops -1/4 cup olive oil -2 tbsp fresh rosemary -2 garlic cloves -1 tsp salt -1 tsp black pepper
- Dessert: Strawberry Shortcake -2 cups strawberries -1 cup heavy cream -1/4 cup sugar -1 tsp vanilla extract -1 pre-made pound cake
- Wine Pairings: -Starter: Chardonnay -Main Course: Bordeaux -Dessert: Champagne
- Shopping List: -Produce: mushrooms, fresh rosemary, garlic, strawberries -Meat: lamb chops -Dairy: goat cheese, heavy cream -Pantry: olive oil, sugar, vanilla extract, pre-made pound cake -Spices: salt, black pepper
- Starter: Asparagus and Goat Cheese Tart -1 pre-made pie crust -1 lb asparagus -4 oz goat cheese -1 cup heavy cream -2 eggs -1/2 tsp salt -1/2 tsp black pepper
- Main Course: Duck Confit with Roasted Vegetables -4 duck legs -1 lb carrots -1 lb parsnips -1 lb turnips -1/4 cup olive oil -2 tbsp fresh thyme -1 tsp salt -1 tsp black pepper
- Dessert: Strawberry Mousse -2 cups strawberries -1 cup heavy cream -1/4 cup sugar -1 tsp vanilla extract -1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- Wine Pairings: -Starter: Sauvignon Blanc -Main Course: Côtes du Rhône -Dessert: Muscat
- Shopping List: -Produce: asparagus, carrots, parsnips, turnips, strawberries -Meat: duck legs -Dairy: goat cheese, heavy cream -Pantry: pre-made pie crust, olive oil, fresh thyme, sugar, vanilla extract, unflavored gelatin -Spices: salt, black pepper
I went on to refine the query by adding actual recipe notes for what I requested, changed the shopping location, and plugged in calorie counts and allergy restrictions. The answers were all virtually instantaneous. For me, the cooking is the easy part. I still have a few recipe books hanging around the burner (thanks again, Jacques Pepin) but I can honestly say this was a big help.
Though I’m ready for the AI dishwasher to be developed…
*AI assisted with research and drafting. Storytelling and opinions are my own.
- Lonely by choice
- March 22, 2023
- To Ship, on or before Death.
- March 21, 2023
- Our Economy; Everything Everywhere All at Once
- March 20, 2023
- 10 Things to ask before Investing with someone
- May 08, 2014
- Angel investing for Family Offices: What if you knew ‘Zuck… back then.
- July 10, 2013
- Now I really want to be like Peter Thiel
- June 11, 2016