Entrepreneur, Explorer, Angel.
Sometimes all at Once.
24TH November 2014
Entrepreneur - Geopolitical - Good Story - Race to the Bottom - Social - Timeless - Uncategorized
Washington is mostly Pandas
[This was just too good not to re-post. True then (2015) and true now]
I was asked recently on the air, so here’s a straightening out of my opinion about how Washington helps (or hurts) entrepreneurship. I totally ripped most of this off from from a recent talk with David Rubenstein of Carlysle at a recent FOA conference. But I doubt he will mind.
Washington reminds me of the Pandas, hanging out and occasionally mating in the National Zoo;
- Everyone wants them to do something, deliver something actually.
- Everyone agrees, within some tolerance, on what they should deliver.
- Pandas actually only are in heat like 4 days a year, so their DNA isn’t ideal for effective production
- Which means neither side gets much practice actually coming together on anything
- They go about their own business most of the year, then have very little time to get anything done
- A few days off, here or there, and nothing happens ’til next year
- There are surrogates for each party, helping the subjects get ready for the big meet up
- Everyone stands around in anticipation that something has actually been done.
- Rarely is anything delivered.
- They are essentially leased by the Chinese
The recent Jobs act might be a good example of what I’m talking about. The election-year cycle had all kinds of rhetoric about government being a partner of small business, you would have thought salvation was just around the corner. But real partners are there sweating new releases, making payroll, burning midnight oil on weekends to get things done. Partners don’t just show up on April 15th looking for a dividend. But despite the crowd funding provisions and some headway on H1-B visas, the Jobs act did little to stimulate. NOT THAT I EXPECT OR REQUIRE anything; I’m thinking that, as an entrepreneur, it would be best if we just knew where Government stands, and we can work around, over, and through those rules.
~~Wow, you made it all the way down here! ~~~
Like this story?… Inspired, even just a little?… here’s how you might pay it forward;
Please tell me about a great entrepreneur who may need help solving a big puzzle. or…
Please tell me about an A Player who would be a great addition to a founding team.
- The Sharpless Method: We suffer more in imagination than in reality
- September 24, 2018
- Closing? Should be called Opening…
- September 20, 2018
- Ding. Look at me.
- June 28, 2018
- 10 Things to ask before Investing with someone
- May 08, 2014
- Angel investing for Family Offices: What if you knew ‘Zuck… back then.
- July 10, 2013
- Now I really want to be like Peter Thiel
- June 11, 2016